Like the fashion and jewellery the music in The Great Gatsby did not disappoint! Jay Z, Beyoncé, Lana Del Ray, Emile Sande, Kanye West, Florence and the Machine, to name but a few, all appear on the films soundtrack.
Even with all these big names appearing on the soundtrack, there has been a lot of online criticism about the soundtrack. Many bloggers and reviews complained that the songs were too “2013” and modern to fit with the 1920’s atmosphere portrayed onscreen. I have to say at points during the beginning of the film I was starting to agree with the critics. Jay Z and Kanye rapping over pictures of 1920’s New York just didn’t seem right.
However, as the film progressed the music became an essential ingredient to storyline as we watched the drama unfold.
There were two cover versions on the soundtrack, both with Beyoncé connections. The first was Emile Sande’s cover of Beyoncé’s hit “Crazy In Love”. Emile’s version really replicated the 1920’s with a jazzy Charleston vibe.
Beyoncé controversially covered Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black”. Personally I loved this version! It’s sensual and full of sass, done to typical Beyoncé perfection.
Lana Del Ray’s hauntingly hypnotic “Young and Beautiful” gives Beyoncé’s cover a run for best song on the album. Del Ray’s song was seamlessly woven into the middle of the film. An excellent choice!
Here’s a full listing of the tracks on The Great Gatsby Soundtrack [Deluxe Edition].
- 100$ Bill – Jay Z
- Back to Black – Beyoncé & Andre 3000
- Young and Beautiful – Lana Del Ray
- Love is Blindness – Jack White
- Crazy In love (Kid Koala Version) – Emile Sande and The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
- Bang Bang – will.i.am
- A Little Party Never Killed Noboday (All We Got) – Fegies, QTip & Goon Rock
- Love Is The Drug – Bryan Ferry and The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
- Heart’s A Mess – Gotye
- Where The Wind Blows – Coco O
- Green Light – Green Light
- No Church In The Wild ft Frank Ocean – Jay Z & Kanye West
- Over The Love – Florence and the Machine
Let me know what your favourite song from the film was.